[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 13 23:09:50 PDT 2003

on Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 02:53:04PM +1000, Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org) wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2003, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > First, remember that load average *isn't* a measure of CPU demand.
> > It's a measure of how many jobs are in the current run queue.  Which
> > includes jobs that are blocked for IO.
>
> Think about this a bit more. :-)

Not sure where you're going with that, but the specific issue I had in
mind was SA child processes waiting on the results of a DNS query (e.g.:
RBL lookup, etc.).

And in the context of the current AOL issue:  RBL lookups are one of
several factors that SA looks at, with the weighting being based on
actual corpuses of spam and ham, and on the actual predictive value of a
given observable characteristic.

Peace.

    "You don't have to pretend to be interested in me you know," said
    Marvin at last, "I know perfectly well I'm only a menial robot."
    -- HHGTG