[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Sun Apr 13 21:28:38 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 13:24, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:48:22AM -0400, Aaron Sherman said:

> > Some even more poorly configured sites will break the SMTP spec in the
> > same way that AOL does (not sending a 554 or waiting for a QUIT to
> > disconnect).
>
> I haven't seen anybody attempt to defend AOL's actions here; all I did
> was state that if you attempt to send email direct from a dynamic IP,

I really want to stop using that awful term. My company uses a dynamic
IP for it's mail server. I call it dynamic because it was assigned by a
protocol (call up sales droid, order CIDR block, fax forms, get email,
enter addresses in configs) which could have belonged to anyone last
week and could belong to any one else next week.

The same is true at home (slightly better protocol: DHCP).

I'm not being blocked because my IP is dynamic. I'm being blocked
because I'm at home, and AOL's Internet doesn't want to talk to the
little guy.

This may sound petty on my part, but I've been sending mail for over 15
years now. I've been doing it from my own domain for 7. Why is it that
SUDDENLY the Internet is only for the corporate big-boys? Because
they're more responsible?

My vote is we blacklist the bastards that try to break the net like this
for now, and then implement a system of identity, trust and
responsibility. We already have two ways built into the protocols to do
this: IP address and key exchange (via TLS). Let's start tracking that
info and building a web of trust. We can replace blacklists with
trustlists that have a score (127.x.y.z where x is your trust value, y
is your spam value and z is your protocol-failure value). Everyone who
wants can run one, and you can even build meta-trust databases that just
pool others with weighting.

That should be easy enough to write and then hack into the major
mailers....