[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Sun Apr 13 18:39:06 PDT 2003

> Are you using the daemon mode, or per-message invocation?  Last time I
> looked (a couple of months ago) the daemon mode was far too insecure
> to consider, though that may have improved now.

Daemon mode, although I was (am) not aware of any glaring insecurities...
The machine has nobody but administrators logging on, which may be why I
wasn't worried about local exploits.

> However, the machine is also doing a lot of other work.  A load of 1
> just from mail would be too high.

TBH, this machine does RADIUS, SMTP/POP3/IMAP, DNS and a little bit of HTTP
(internal only).  By far, the biggest strain on the system is the virus
scanning.  If you're using the 'spawn the full SA scanner per email' method
to spam scan I could see a serious increase in processor load, though.

Regards,
Andrew