[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Sun Apr 13 18:37:36 PDT 2003

On 13 Apr 2003, Andrew <akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what kind of mail volume do you have?  I've been running
> SpamAssassin (with pgsql-backend for user prefs) for a ~15k-user ISP.  With
> RAV in there as well, the Duron 950 is sitting at an average 15-minute load
> of 2.3-2.7.  This is on plain-jane ATA disks if that matters much.
>
> Just looking at the spamd log, there were 50331 spam scans performed in the
> last 17.5 hours, so what's that, almost 2900 emails an hour?  I'm sure that
> on a recent processor our load'd be under 1.0.

Are you using the daemon mode, or per-message invocation?  Last time I
looked (a couple of months ago) the daemon mode was far too insecure
to consider, though that may have improved now.

Our incoming load is probably less than yours.  Total messages is
about 5-10000/hr, almost all outgoing.

However, the machine is also doing a lot of other work.  A load of 1
just from mail would be too high.

--
Martin