[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Sun Apr 13 18:23:00 PDT 2003

> I suppose we could change to a different system which would also
> sequester mail blocked by source address.  (Last time I checked,
> SpamAssassin was too resource-intensive to be used.)

Out of curiosity, what kind of mail volume do you have?  I've been running
SpamAssassin (with pgsql-backend for user prefs) for a ~15k-user ISP.  With
RAV in there as well, the Duron 950 is sitting at an average 15-minute load
of 2.3-2.7.  This is on plain-jane ATA disks if that matters much.

Just looking at the spamd log, there were 50331 spam scans performed in the
last 17.5 hours, so what's that, almost 2900 emails an hour?  I'm sure that
on a recent processor our load'd be under 1.0.

Regards,
Andrew