[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Sun Apr 13 17:53:18 PDT 2003

On 13 Apr 2003, Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net> wrote:
> begin  Martin Pool  quotation:
> > Thousands of observed Korean spams, zero observed blocked non-spams.
>
> 	That strikes me as a sampling problem.

I haven't done a statistical analysis to work out how confident we can
be in the sampling.  Possibly there are some (or many) people posting
from Korea who are unfairly being blocked.  It seems unlikely.  The
more likely hypothesis is that in fact there are an large number of
hyperactive spammers in Korea.

I'm not terribly hopeful of this but it is possible that diminished
connectivity will eventually make the Korean and Chinese governments
pass and enforce computer crime laws.

Korean ISPs which have responsive abuse addresses are excluded from
the blacklist.  I think that allows through corporations or
universities who have active IT groups.

If I was running a retail ISP and expected to have (say) customers
with family in Korea perhaps it would be different.

But seriously, what would you have us do?  Pass hundreds of thousands
of extra messages per week in the forlorn hope that one of them might
not be spam?  I know that might be more "fair" but it doesn't seem
better.

--
Martin