[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 13 16:39:50 PDT 2003

on Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:19:39PM -0400, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> Hope no one here has friends or relatives that use AOL if you run your
> home MTA on a residential network.... If you do, you'll have to start
> relaying mail for AOL through the public relay (probably slow and flaky)
> that your ISP provides. Why?
>
> AOL has instituted a new policy: TCP sessions established on port 25 to
> any of their MX hosts from systems that obtain their IP addresses
> dynamically (their term, I don't know exactly how they define it, since
> I'm not on any reputable, public dynip BLs that I can find) will be
> summarily disconnected after the transmission of several lines of text
> which resemble an SMTP error.

Aaron, thanks for the heads up on this.

I've confirmed this is a problem for me.  A real problem as my parents
are AOL subscribers, and, well, I can't write home.

I've posted my own confirmation of the block at
http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=96264 (for
anyone who needed help in figuring out whether or not an SMTP block was
in effect).  I've also submitted this item as a story to Slashdot, and
a few other venues.  Hmm.  Must be a slow day, Slashdot's picked it up
already.

My suggested remedy:  Independent or non-AOL MTAs should be set to deny
any traffic coming from within AOL domains.  Mailing lists too (eh,
Don?).

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/