[linux-elitists] Cert Schmert

Mister Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sat Apr 12 07:57:16 PDT 2003

>>>>> "l" == linux-elitists-request  <linux-elitists-request@zgp.org> writes:

    l> Where can I find a good, secure cert that will be accepted by
    l> browsers without complaints?

I don't believe it's supported by browsers yet, but Len Sassaman
started this thing a while ago:

        http://www.freecert.org/

I dunno who these cacert.org folks are -- and I don't see any names up
there, so I'm a little dubious -- and it's quite possible that the
turnover of this domain was hostile or squattish rather than
friendly.

BUT: hell, it looks better than nothing. I'm not really excited about
these Terms and Conditions:

      https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=6

Particularly:

        "You warrant that the Service shall not be used: [...]
        (b) to send, receive, upload, download, use or re-use any
        material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory,
        obscene, menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence,
        privacy or any other rights; or (c) to cause annoyance,
        inconvenience or needless anxiety; [...]"

Since, like, most of what I do causes annoyance, inconvenience, and
needless anxiety.

But I guess that's just legal hoohaw. I dunno. I think the last line:

        "...other than in accordance with the use policies and rules
        of your ISP and any local, state, province, territory or
        federal laws that may be applicable to you."

...should have been sufficient.

Anyways, I've got a personal cert from there, and I think I'm gonna
get me some per-domain certs, too. What the hey!

~Mr. Bad