[linux-elitists] SSL security certificates

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Thu Apr 10 17:38:17 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:30:52PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> And before someone suggests it yet again:  The biggest reason there
> isn't a cheap or free geek collective to run a certificate authority
> with the aim of getting it included in common Web browsers is legal
> liability.

	The biggest cost is getting in the Root CA Bundle.

	If you're worried about liability, you just make your identity
	verification step harder, but then that breaks the cheap model.

--
I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels,
God and Angels