[linux-elitists] Postfix vs Exim

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sat Sep 21 23:29:52 PDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 03:57:28PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Caching can be bad, and there have been issues with client-side caching with
> OpenLDAP, so there's a lot of FUD about it. There are definite plans to make
> caching better with postfix though (sounded really cool last time I read
> about it).

Gotcha.

> > So you're  saying that  you'd need to  tell postfix to  pipe the  program to
> > something else that does all the rewriting?
>
> No, I'm wondering why you'd do header rewriting manually in the first place,
> rather than adding a system to the MTA to handle common requirements for you
> with sensible configuration options.

Well, for instance:
- netscape  used to  send mail  with a  bad Sender:  header. I used  exim to
  rewrite it  as it  was being  accepted and  before it  was sent  (often to
  remote sites)
- I  do  env  from/env  to/From:/To:/Cc:/  rewriting  to  fix  headers  from
  misconfigured workstations I relay for.

Marc