[linux-elitists] on hardware compatability

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Fri Sep 20 16:13:58 PDT 2002

> 	Depends on your hardware. I had a relatively recent (p3/800) KDS
> laptop. Debian or RedHat 7.3/null loaded without a problem -- everything
> but the WinModem working fine (X, Sound, onboard RT nic, etc). I couldn't
> get XP to boot on it, Win98 SE had none of the drivers, and once loaded
> was completely unstable and refused to run the video at greater than
> 800x600x4. Finally found a copy of WinME that when loaded with the 6-8
> non-standard drivers seemed usable.
> Linux install time: 20min
> Win* install time: 5hrs

Sounds similar: Hyperdata Cel300 notebook... really nice, ATI video, 256M
memory, DVD, video in/out... but refuses to install win2k.  Linux ran great
on it until I got my new Evo N160 from work.  The ACPI DSDT is not correct
and it doesn't boot with the latest ACPI code which relies on the table to
route interrupts.  :-(

So no suspend/sleep for me yet.

Regards,
Andrew