[linux-elitists] on hardware compatability

Derek Vadala derek@cynicism.com
Fri Sep 20 14:10:13 PDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Actually, Win2k install is marginally more smooth than RatHed 7.3. It's
> pretty much a wash, though.

Hmmmm. I've actually seen the Win2K install balk pretty often (where
RedHat does not) when using any sort of high-end disk controller. By that
I mean anything other than a single channel SCSI controller or on-board
IDE or SCSI.

For example, my dual-channel Adaptec U160 controller kills the Win2K
install, as do a fair number of RAID controllers that I have at my
disposal (except for the crap-ass "I'm not really a hardware controller"
IDE RAID cards). All of them, of course, work out of the box with any
reasonably recent Linux distribution, sans driver disks.

Now I'm aware that there is probably driver disk mechanism for Windows.*,
but isn't it supposed to just work?

---
Derek Vadala, derek@cynicism.com, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek