[linux-elitists] on hardware compatability

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Fri Sep 20 14:49:46 PDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:16:51PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Actually, Win2k install is marginally more smooth than RatHed 7.3. It's
> pretty much a wash, though.

	Depends on your hardware. I had a relatively recent (p3/800) KDS
laptop. Debian or RedHat 7.3/null loaded without a problem -- everything
but the WinModem working fine (X, Sound, onboard RT nic, etc). I couldn't
get XP to boot on it, Win98 SE had none of the drivers, and once loaded
was completely unstable and refused to run the video at greater than
800x600x4. Finally found a copy of WinME that when loaded with the 6-8
non-standard drivers seemed usable.
Linux install time: 20min
Win* install time: 5hrs