[linux-elitists] SpamCop Forgeries

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Tue Sep 17 10:30:41 PDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:56:17PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 21:34, Dan Wilder wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:51:19PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > > We are urging people not to use bl.sc.net to do RBL blocking in the MTA.
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Hmmm... that's a fine line given SA's spamd, but since SC asks you to
> use their database only if you're a customer I just use it for my
> personal SA anyway. I have had one or two messages that WERE spam and
> that SC pushed over the line for SA's points.

That's interesting.  If you're not an SC customer, leave them out of the
picture, at their own request.  That's good.  I'd go further and say
don't become an SC customer, but that's my own personal axe to grind.

> > Getting legitimate email through becomes increasingly vexatious as more
> > and more people adopt half-baked or hair-trigger ideas about who or what
> > to block.  If that becomes common, the spammers have won a victory of
> > sorts, sabotaging the usefulness of the medium for the rest of us.
>
> I like SA's model of throwing in any old test that sounds good and then
> letting objective algorithms determine the scoring based on known spam
> and valid mail. Sometimes the resulting scores are not ideal for my
> needs, but they're a far cry better than just going with hunches (even
> mine :)

I just plain like SA.

Many of the email addresses here at SSC are quite public, and have
been harvested by every crawler in sight.  <ljeditor@ssc.com> for
example.  2000 spams/week.

With default Debian setup for SA, maybe 4 or 5 a day make the legitimate
mail cut, and so far, no legitimate mail has been misclassified into the
ljeditor spam folder.

That's a better sorting ratio than I've run into myself, but even I get
a pretty good one, with close to no false positives except for mailing
lists, when I forget to add a line to my .procmailrc pre-classifying
for default delivery.