[linux-elitists] SpamCop Forgeries

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Tue Sep 17 09:56:17 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 21:34, Dan Wilder wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:51:19PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> > We are urging people not to use bl.sc.net to do RBL blocking in the MTA.
>
> Yes.

Hmmm... that's a fine line given SA's spamd, but since SC asks you to
use their database only if you're a customer I just use it for my
personal SA anyway. I have had one or two messages that WERE spam and
that SC pushed over the line for SA's points.

> Getting legitimate email through becomes increasingly vexatious as more
> and more people adopt half-baked or hair-trigger ideas about who or what
> to block.  If that becomes common, the spammers have won a victory of
> sorts, sabotaging the usefulness of the medium for the rest of us.

I like SA's model of throwing in any old test that sounds good and then
letting objective algorithms determine the scoring based on known spam
and valid mail. Sometimes the resulting scores are not ideal for my
needs, but they're a far cry better than just going with hunches (even
mine :)

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
http://www.ajs.com/~ajs