[linux-elitists] RE: [offlist] RE: Connection refused (was: RE: mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/* ?) (fwd)

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Mon Sep 16 14:48:39 PDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:28:43PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> All network nodes will eventually be in private IP space except for
> approved servers.  I'm sure this irritates you to no end, but c'est la
> vie.
>
> I must take issue with your "everybody loses" assumption.  Everybody loses
> in your calculus only.  We gain, in productivity, in unlost downtime, in
> being able to put our IT people to work doing useful things for the campus
> rather than running around after the latest script kiddie exploit, etc.,
> etc.
>
> Not *every* box on the network needs to be or even should be a server.

	But what do you need to do to become an "approved server"? I know
that I for one would not have learned nearly as much about unix/networks
in college if I'd not had a public ip address to play around with. (Of
course that learning experience did include a broken Linux/Alpha box that
arp flooded so bad it crashed the entire 16k student network). Academia
used to be about exploring and experimenting.