[linux-elitists] RE: [offlist] RE: Connection refused (was: RE: mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/* ?) (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Sep 16 14:28:43 PDT 2002

[censored]

Well, you'll be extremely unhappy to discover, then, that we are talking
our entire B block "offline".  All network nodes will eventually be in
private IP space except for approved servers.  I'm sure this irritates you
to no end, but c'est la vie.

I must take issue with your "everybody loses" assumption.  Everybody loses
in your calculus only.  We gain, in productivity, in unlost downtime, in
being able to put our IT people to work doing useful things for the campus
rather than running around after the latest script kiddie exploit, etc.,
etc.

Not *every* box on the network needs to be or even should be a server.

[censored]