[linux-elitists] SpamCop Forgeries

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Sat Sep 14 18:34:06 PDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:51:19PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> I've had both, but I look at SA headers on mails that didn't get
> flagged as spam too.  Again, bl.sc.net is useful for scoring in SA,
> but I don't think it should be used for blocking in the MTA like the
> MAPS RBL

> > > Thanks, Marc, for the words of caution and sanity.

> > I don't think that urging people to ignore Spamcop is particularly
> > cautious, and I'm not qualified to judge sane.

I'm not either, but fools venture bravely, and all.

> We are urging people not to use bl.sc.net to do RBL blocking in the MTA.

Yes.

Getting legitimate email through becomes increasingly vexatious as more
and more people adopt half-baked or hair-trigger ideas about who or what
to block.  If that becomes common, the spammers have won a victory of
sorts, sabotaging the usefulness of the medium for the rest of us.