[linux-elitists] Fwd: [vorbis] tremor relicensed as BSD

Peter Gutmann pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 5 02:21:33 PDT 2002

Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> writes:
>On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Sean Neakums wrote:
>>Most MP3 players seem to use commodity decoder chips rather than
>>software running on a general-purpose CPU.  I expect that a commodity
>>Vorbis decoder chip is required before we will see decently-priced
>>Vorbis-capable players.
>
>There's some ultra-low power cheap DSPs TI makes which are programmable, yet
>cheap in quantities.

Uhh, TI?  There's the MSP430 series which are very cheap and low-power but not
DSPs, and then there's the C5000's which aren't very cheap or low-power (100mW
and US$40-50, probably cheaper in quantity).  An ADSP-21x would be a better
bet, but anything like that is still a suboptimal solution compared to an ASIC.

Peter.