[linux-elitists] Fwd: [vorbis] tremor relicensed as BSD

Sean Neakums sneakums@zork.net
Thu Sep 5 01:41:55 PDT 2002

commence  Ben Finney quotation:

> On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:46:16 +0100, Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> wrote:
>> Hardware companies how have one less excuse for implementing Vorbis in
>> their products.

I didn't say that; it was part of the message I forwarded.

> Now they only have the excuse of "We don't actually employ anyone in
> engineering anymore, and have no money to put into making new chips
> if we did".
>
> Sadly, I don't expect hardware companies to start making Ogg-enabled
> players until they shift their stock of MP3 players that nobody's
> buying.  To which I say "tough titty, you should have made 'em
> user-expandable then I could buy one and add Ogg support myself".

Most MP3 players seem to use commodity decoder chips rather than
software running on a general-purpose CPU.  I expect that a commodity
Vorbis decoder chip is required before we will see decently-priced
Vorbis-capable players.

--
[|] Sean Neakums            |  Questions are a burden to others;