[linux-elitists] [kevin@inscoe.org: [cfgeeks] UCSD bans WinNT/2K]

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue Oct 22 06:28:30 PDT 2002

----- Forwarded message from "Kevin P. Inscoe (KE3VIN)" <kevin@inscoe.org> -----

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:56:54 -0400
From: "Kevin P. Inscoe (KE3VIN)" <kevin@inscoe.org>
Subject: [cfgeeks] UCSD bans WinNT/2K

>From comp.risks:

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:06:55 -0400
From: "Jeremy Epstein" <jepstein@webmethods.com>
Subject: UCSD bans WinNT/2K -- will it do any good?

Seen in *Security Wire Digest* ... seems to me it's trading the devil
you
know for the devil you ... know.  Is WinXP really any more secure than
WinNT/2K?  Now if they banned the use of Outlook, that might be a step
forward...

BTW, students have to pay for a copy of WinXP.  Maybe this is a
fundraising
effort by Microsoft... put out products that are so vulnerable that
users
have to spend more money to buy a less vulnerable version.  "I'm sorry
ma'am, but the wheels frequently fall off the 1998 model cars.  We have
no
intention of fixing the problem.  Would you like to buy a 2002 model for
$20,000?  By the way, you'll also need to build a new garage on your
house
to park it in, and a new driver's license, because the old ones aren't
compatible."

*UNIVERSITY BANS WINDOWS NT/2000
Citing security reasons, the University of California at Santa Barbara
(UCSB) has banned the use of Microsoft Windows NT/2000 on its
residential
network, ResNet. In a posting on the ResNet site, UCSB officials blame
the
OSes for "hundreds of major problems on UCSB's residential network
during
the 2001-2 academic year," including exploited vulnerabilities,
denial-of-service attacks, port scanning, and infections by Code Red and
Nimda. UCSB recommends that ResNet users switch to Windows XP Home.
http://www.resnet.ucsb.edu/information/win2k.html

Gee why not ban Linux while they are it since it can do all those things
better. ;-)

~ke3vin
--
Kevin P. Inscoe       KE3VIN        Geek and fixer of things
Deltona, FL 32738    FX/VM: 507-262-1277   28.9492N 81.1955W