[linux-elitists] Fwd: Bitkeeper outragem, old and new

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 20 19:28:10 PDT 2002

on Thu, Oct 17, 2002, Aaron T Porter (atporter@primate.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 08:51:31AM -0400, Mister Bad wrote:
>
> > Tom had financial problems and couldn't keep developing arch. SO, he
> > kind of expanded the development to be more "arch-y" in the first
> > place: a star topography of multiple repositories sharing code.
> >
> >     JM> Does this mean Tom Lord is no longer involved?  I'm curious as
> >     JM> to what happened.  I know that for a while Tom was trying some
> >     JM> donation/sponsorship program to help pay for development.
> >
> > It didn't work. Or, at least, it hasn't so far.
>
> Seems to lend some support to Larry's claim that you can't make a
> living selling support for a developing GPL'd SCM system.

Having seen (far too much of...) Tom's lamenting and efforts to pimp
arch on other lists, I have to suspect that the business acumen was
likely lacking in this case.  This regardless of arch's benefits.  Pity,
as the BK fiasco IMO renders Larry's community goodwill nil.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Not just a stick in the MUD:  http://z.iwethey.org/forums/