[linux-elitists] Fwd: Bitkeeper outragem, old and new

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 16 12:52:04 PDT 2002

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net):

> Jack Moffitt did this once, and received flamacious legal threats from
> McVoy.  It was in the context of his critique of said license, even.

Yes, I'm aware of that, and am hoping Mr. McVoy will not be
unreasonable, given that I'm posting no criticism of him or his
business, but only exact licence terms for the public's information and
for my pending analysis -- and am very clearly labelling what specific
software version the licence text concerns.

Therefore, I don't think anyone can claim that the information is or can
become misleading, nor is it any kind of business tort.  To the extent
that BitMover, Inc. can assert copyright over the licence terms, I feel
I can assert fair use (the literal licence text being necessary for
comment and anaysis).

Best Regards,
Rick Moen
(speaking for himself, alone)