[linux-elitists] Fwd: Bitkeeper outragem, old and new

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Oct 14 09:46:38 PDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:38:24AM -0400, Mister Bad wrote:

> Considering that kernel development work went on for N years without
> BitKeeper, it's obvious that it _can_ be done. What is it about
> BitKeeper that's so great?

Merges with an external source are wonderful.  This means when a new
kernel comes out, I can import it into my bk tree, and merge all of my
previous changes up to the latest version in a few simple steps.
Compared to the mess that CVS makes you jump through to do this, well,
there is no comparison.

Also, changesets are very nice (yes, other VCS have them) along with the
ability to do checkins in a distributed manner (don't have to be
connected to a server), and support for file changes (rm, cp, mv), make
it very nice.

Specific for kernel development, it makes it _very_ easy to send changes
to Linus.  Well, make that very easy for Linus to accept them, it does
add some extra work to the sender, but that's only fair.

greg k-h