[linux-elitists] FedEx Freight Linux

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Fri Nov 22 05:21:46 PST 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:38:26PM -0800, Don Marti said:

> Small business shipping is a cross-platform web service that lets
> you print labels on plain paper from anywhere, not as when I last
> researched it in the mid-1990s, a single-platform application called

Actually, if you sign up for an account on Fedex.com, there's a service
that anybody can use, not just businesses.  It used to be called
InternetShip, but now I think it's just part of Fedex.com.  (The
marketroids want us to always call it "Fedex.com", never "the web page".)

One of the projects my team administrates does the credit verification
for creating those accounts online, as well as the billing.

The on-topic point here is that the systems that let you do that are
among those in which Linux is being used.  Eventually they'll likely all
be migrated to Linux.  We have internal studies that show that it's
like an order of magnitude cheaper than Sun for a given amount of
throughput, although it does take up more power and floor space.

We don't use it for the databases, though; that's either Sun or HP, or
lives on the IBM mainframes.