[linux-elitists] FedEx Freight Linux

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Nov 21 12:38:26 PST 2002

begin Shawn McMahon quotation of Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:23:52AM -0500:

> http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1118fedlinux.html
> "The large-volume trucking division of FedEx recently installed 15 Red
> Hat Linux 7.2 and 7.3 servers running Apache Web server to act as a
> front end to its customer service application, used by businesses that
> hire Freight to deliver multitruckload shipments of goods across the
> country."

Another FedEx service that rocks my world:
https://www.fedex.com/ship_it/us/faqs.html

Small business shipping is a cross-platform web service that lets
you print labels on plain paper from anywhere, not as when I last
researched it in the mid-1990s, a single-platform application called
"PowerShip" or something like that.  Hooray for FedEx!  Hooray for
freedom!  Hooray for the companies that can put GNU/Linux on the
computer in the mailroom!

(I wanted to use the mozilla.org abbreviation "XP" for cross-platform
above, but ran into acronym collision with "Extreme Programming".  Oh
well, when someone is smart enough to go cross-platform I'll be happy to
type it out.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti