[linux-elitists] [IP] Japan Govt. May Slam Shut Windows (fwd)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 20 16:40:43 PST 2002

on Wed, Nov 20, 2002, Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org) wrote:
> [...]

I _strongly_ suspect that many of these announcements are part of the
current round of license (re)negotiation with Microsoft, rather than
sincere efforts to deploy alternatives.  The pattern has been for
$MAJOR_FIRM or $COUNTRY to make a similar declaration, and a delegation
from Microsoft to visit, followed by denials of any special deals.
However time and favors are not inexhaustible resources, and Microsoft's
cost of sales and cost of retainment is increasing.

I would be suprised to see such a major effort to bear fruition
(defined:  major GNU/Linux desktop deployment) within the next 12
months, though I do suspect a few minor deployments in the 12-24 month
window.  The announcements aren't credible unless the threat is
credible, and I do feel that a GNU/Linux-based desktop _is_ credible at
this point.  See the City of Largo, FL's deployment for case in point.

And I'd love my pessimistic forecast to be proven wrong.

Peace.