TWikIWeThey (was Re: [linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 19 20:03:39 PST 2002

on Thu, Nov 14, 2002, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net):
>
> > Yeah, the markup may be *different* than HTML, but there's so
> > little of it, and it's so obvious that you can just pick it up by
> > reading a couple paragraphs worth.
>
> Oh, I've used Wikis.  I just haven't liked 'em a whole lot, so far.  And,
> ordinarily, if I'm going to spend time editing a Web site, I'd rather it
> be my Web site.

That's why I set up my own Wiki ;-)

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/

Though I prefer doing my mods to it rather than my own (Netcom /
Earthlink hosted) website because:

  - It's easier to plug stuff in.  Browswer access from anywhere, rather
    than needing to lug my local archive around with me or wait until I
    can access it.  So if I've got a few lines, or an essay, to plug in,
    I can.  I like my own docs and refer to them often.  I get mail from
    others who indicate similarly.  I needed A Better Way To Do It.
    TWiki appears to suit the need.

  - Other people can play too.  My own webpage, only I can edit.

  - Version control.  You also get things like revision histories,
    diffs, and (with authentication) attributions, which are a nice plus
    to the traditional Wiki featureset.

  - rsync backups (I've also got shell on the box).  Which makes backing
    up stuff to local easier and faster than my own (Netcom / Earthlink
    hosted) website.  This also means I can pick the whole thing up and
    walk it elsewhere if needed.  (Hopefully not.  The site is hosted by
    Jason Alexander, another member of a group informally known as
    "IWeTHey", see OurHistory at the site).

  - Templates.  The default theme is prettier than what I'm likely to
    come up with (which is scary in itself), and if I or anyone else
    ever get around to it, you can theme the site.  Content is just
    slopped into the templates.  Which makes divorcing content and
    presentation that much better.

  - Access control.  Apologies to Nick, but we've already found one
    idiot who can't play well.  So there are accounts and passwords.
    It's weak authentication, but it's an improvement over none.  And
    pages or larger sections can be protected.

  - Automated linking, link management (within the TWiki itself),
    searching, and some automated content updating and generation
    (recently modified lists, RSS, tables of contents, etc.).

If anyone's wondering, TWikIWeThey is something I kicked off with
assistance from Peter, Jason, and a few others, mostly from the IWeThey
gang who I've known for coming on five years now.

The aim is to fill in a missing link between Usenet and mailing lists
(timely, but too much replication, uneven data quality) and HOWTOs
(authoritative, but slow to update).  Wiki update cycles are relatively
quick, and redundant content can be refactored out.

Peace.