[linux-elitists] Re: Bind 8 bug experience (fwd)

Peter Wiersig wiersig-ml@dns.glamus.de
Tue Nov 19 15:02:36 PST 2002

Jeremy McLeod wrote:
> On Sun Nov 17, 2002 at 07:50:33PM +0000, Peter Whysall wrote:
> > As noted before, djbdns is just dandy (obvious strangitude
> > notwithstanding), right up to the point where the boss says,
> > "Now make it serve DNS for our Windows 2000 network."
>
> What difference does that make?  DNS is DNS.

Welcome to the Real World.

> I'm using dnscache to serve a workstation pool of about 20 Windows
> 2000 machines, and tinydns to serve authoritative data for our
> domains, and Windows machines don't have any trouble resolving
> anything.

Yes, but try "registering" your Machine to the DNS, or try to store
the sufficient ADS-Data in your zone. MS uses underscores where none
are allowed. Any sane DNS-Server should deny those resource data.

Peter