[linux-elitists] PubScience: discontinued -- Government public information service canceled by industry lobby

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 16 16:13:06 PST 2002

on Fri, Nov 15, 2002, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> Anyone familiar with:
>
>    - PubScience:  http://www.osti.gov/disconps.html
>    - SIAA:  http://www.siia.net/
>    - SIAA members:  http://www.siia.net/glance/members.asp
>    - SIAA BoD:  http://www.siia.net/glance/board.asp
>
> ...and the relationship between SIAA and the closing of PubScience:
>
>     More sites targeted for shutdown
>     BY William Matthews
>     Nov. 13, 2002
>
>     http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/1111/web-science-11-13-02.asp

...update.

Note that this was already posted at Slashdot.  I found a link lifted
from there without credit.  Apologies for those who'd found the post
redundant.

    Publishers' Attack Free Government Sites

    SciencePosted by Hemos on 05:29 AM November 15th, 2002
    from the going-after-the-information dept.

    An anonymous reader writes "After succeding in getting the DOE's
    PubScience shutdown the Software and Information Industry
    Association and publishers' are now targeting more. If the trend
    continues local tax dollars will increasingly be spent to buy access
    to information the federal government used to provide."

Not that I think this is any less worth pursuing.

Peace.