[linux-elitists] Re: More sites targeted -- another view (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Nov 16 05:02:29 PST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:36:06 -0000
From: Darren Rhodes <drhodes@GLOBALNET.CO.UK>
To: CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: Re: More sites targeted -- another view

comments in message denoted by ****

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Engel" <mkengel@WEB.DE>
To: <CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 6:38 AM

******  I've seen this point raised before but I didn't address it: I want
to do so now.  Taxpayers pay for science to be done (largely) so that they
can be free from the peril of disease.  If a cure for cancer comes from a
country other than the US then US taxpayers will embrace this cure: the
taxpayer doesn't care that the researcher who found the cure used
information from the 'free' source (ie one funded by the US taxpayer); they
just don't want to suffer an early death.  By making the chemical
information prohibitively expensive you're doing a the taxpayer a huge
disservice since you're thwarting their original objective.  At the risk of
being tautological: US/European (whomever) taxpayers do not pay for science
so that the results can be given to publishers for 99 plus years of
financial gain.  Darren. ******