[linux-elitists] Re: More sites targeted -- another view (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Nov 16 02:35:24 PST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:32:01 -0000
From: Ben Scott <B.Scott@POSTGRAD.UMIST.AC.UK>
To: CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: Re: More sites targeted -- another view

    I apologise if I'm digging up an old and tired discussion, but if
PubScience was of such little use for professional research, then why did
the chemical information industry feel so threatened as to have it shut
down?

    My personal opinion is that anything that isolates science and
scientific information from the public community does nothing but harm the
science community as a whole. Is it likely to become reality that the SIIA
are going to try and close down the rest of the 'free' databases?

Ben Scott
UMIST Cheminformatics Student