[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Jeremy McLeod jeremym@loonix.org
Thu Nov 14 15:47:30 PST 2002

On Thu Nov 14, 2002 at 12:30:43PM -0800, Aaron T Porter wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:18:04PM -0500, Jeremy McLeod wrote:
>
> > The context, however, was that backup DNS service is useless if you don't
> > also have backups for your other services.  That's pretty irrefutable.
>
> 	I don't even agree there. A secondary DNS on an independant
> network is invaluable for disaster recovery. Keeps your minimum downtime
> (in the event a network/isp/site fails) to $TTL rather than registrar
> refresh time plus $TTL. With my off-site backups, if RawBandwidth dropped
> off the net, I could have primate.net back up at another provider within
> 90min or so. If I had to update Dotster/Netsol/etc to point at a new NS
> host it'd be 12+ hours.

Right, so you have backups for your other services.  They're not on hot
standby or whatever, but they're still backups.  In the case of someone
with _no_ backups, or funding / ability to construct backups on the fly,
backup DNS would be useless.  As someone else mentioned, however, that
presumes a loss of connectivity or a system crash, as opposed to one
particular service (DNS) being taken down or going leftass, while the
rest of the services on the machine keep chugging happily along.

So Dan is totally wrong (surprise!) that backup DNS is useless.
Unreliable in many cases, maybe.  I think he's just a control freak.
No, really.

--
Jeremy McLeod
jeremym@loonix.org