[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Thu Nov 14 12:30:43 PST 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:18:04PM -0500, Jeremy McLeod wrote:

> The context, however, was that backup DNS service is useless if you don't
> also have backups for your other services.  That's pretty irrefutable.

	I don't even agree there. A secondary DNS on an independant
network is invaluable for disaster recovery. Keeps your minimum downtime
(in the event a network/isp/site fails) to $TTL rather than registrar
refresh time plus $TTL. With my off-site backups, if RawBandwidth dropped
off the net, I could have primate.net back up at another provider within
90min or so. If I had to update Dotster/Netsol/etc to point at a new NS
host it'd be 12+ hours.