[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Derek Vadala derek@cynicism.com
Thu Nov 14 12:28:51 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Jeremy McLeod wrote:

> I agree.  The context, however, was that backup DNS service is useless
> if you don't also have backups for your other services.  That's pretty
> irrefutable.  I think Dan's a jackass for announcing that backup DNS is
> useless in _any_ situation, though; clearly it's not.

The real problem with his argument is that it presupposes a WAN (or even a
LAN) outage. In the case where the server itself goes down, an off-site
secondary even without other services colocated elsewhere is useful. For
example, if your primary is vulnerable to a recently published vulnerability and
you absolutely needed to take it offline for maintenance. Or maybe someone
just kicked it over.

--
Derek Vadala, derek@cynicism.com, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek