[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Jeremy McLeod jeremym@loonix.org
Thu Nov 14 12:18:04 PST 2002

On Thu Nov 14, 2002 at 11:10:25AM -0800, Aaron T Porter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:15:11PM -0500, Jeremy McLeod wrote:
> > That's assuming you have more than one machine, or you have an
> > arrangement with another person/organization to provide backup MX
> > services for your domain(s).  Not everyone has that luxury.
>
> 	Oh, please. This *is* the internet -- I've never met the guys that
> do run my MX and DNS secondaries face to face. Hop on to IRC or a mailing
> list and find someone who'd be willing to swap service with you, or shell
> out the money for a hosted service -- it's not that pricy, especailly
> compared with lost mail, IMO.

I agree.  The context, however, was that backup DNS service is useless
if you don't also have backups for your other services.  That's pretty
irrefutable.  I think Dan's a jackass for announcing that backup DNS is
useless in _any_ situation, though; clearly it's not.

--
Jeremy McLeod
jeremym@loonix.org