[linux-elitists] distributing software securely (was: DJB ruckus du jour)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Nov 14 02:06:01 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Wayne Earl wrote:

> And draw your own conclusions about external dependencies and the
> minimization of risk.

Speaking of which, is there a way to avoid the *nix equivalent of DLL
hell? (Don't get me started on LD_PATH). I've had several problems when
some of our packages needed some XY open source project, which resulted in
a bushy tree of diverse library dependencies, once resolved.  Worse, some
of these libraries might or might not be there already, etc. The installer
was a nightmare to write, too, especially since I didn't have a pristine
machine to test on (the whole thing was resolved by porting that stuff to
NT, which was done in a few days, installer including).

So, do you make static versions in this case, or what?