[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu Nov 14 01:15:36 PST 2002

At 1:13 AM -0800 11/14/02, Nick Moffitt wrote:
begin  Deirdre Schmeirdre  quotation:
>> As I have said before, I use Eudora for MacOS X. While not Linux,
>> it's core is open source and BSD and therefore at least as good. ;)

That's its. I shouldn't write posts at 1 a.m. ::sigh::

> An older version of its core is released in a somewhat-useful
> state under an open source license, yes.

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/
Shows that the releases for 10.2 are out (2 months old). That's not a very
old version.

> And the BSD from which OSX is made is well over a decade old
> now.  The joke about their FreeBSD marketing is that they're just
> tacking bags on the side of NextStep while looking at a FreeBSD box
> for an example of how the real OSes do it.  They are NOT building it
> off of FreeBSD.

Nor was it intended that they would, though, for a number of reasons, it
makes sense for them to move closer to FreeBSD in configuration, etc.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."   - Steven Wright