[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 13 18:13:28 PST 2002

Quoting Wayne Earl (wayne@qconcepts.net):

> I definately see this point. In fact, of all the rumblings against
> djb's work, yours seems to be one of the few based on logic. My point
> wasn't to support or refute either "side" - it was to point out that,
> imo, most of the arguments come from different points of view.

Noted.

And thanks.  I will admit to experiencing about ten minutes of
unreasoning rage on 2001-02-18 immediately following Prof. Bernstein
barraging my mailbox with what amounted to a lawsuit threat over the
initial form of my Web essay about why I choose not to use his software.
About two minutes after _that_, I decided that a constructive form of
therapy would be to append (to that essay) a listing of all open-source
alternatives to each piece of DJBware.

The beauty of that, as it turns out, is that every time Prof. Bernstein
has railed against me and called me names -- calling attention thereby
to my essays -- he has built mindshare for packages like MaraDNS,
vs-ftpd, and Postfix, and exposed to public view the pervasive con-jobs
surrounding his own projects.

And all I have to do is sit back and watch.

--
Cheers,                     Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.
Rick Moen