[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 13 16:22:43 PST 2002

Quoting Michael Bacarella (mbac@netgraft.com):

> I realize that some folks have personal beef with him but
> this is just getting silly.

Suggestion:  Dismiss technical issues as interpersonal squabbles.
It's easier than thinking.

Oh, wait!  You've already discovered that.  Right, carry on, then.

> 1. Offsite nameservers are somewhat ineffective unless you have other
>    offsite services as well.

Congratulations!  You've just reverse-engineered the logic underlying
having offsite backup MX hosts.  Welcome to the 1980s.  Here's your
green-card spam.

>    One of the most common name resolution problems I've debugged has
>    to do with third party nameservers giving out bogus information.

(Note:  "Third party nameserver" is DJBware-cult jargon for what the
rest of the world calls offsite backup nameservice.)

Hey, here's a tip:  Let's deal with the problem of buggy offsite backup
nameservice by having _zero_ offsite backup nameservice.  That'll be
tons better, guys!

--
Cheers,                     Errors have been made.  Others will be blamed.
Rick Moen