[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Derek Vadala derek@cynicism.com
Wed Nov 13 16:10:03 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> 	But the backup nameservice is nice now, because it means that
> mail for zork gets spooled in one location at the backup MX now,
> meaning that it's just one transfer to get it all delivered when it
> returns.  Also, that MX is handy when peoples' routing snafus make
> zork inaccessible but the backup MX and nameserver are still live.

This is precisely why an off-site secondary is useful and it seems like it
was totally ignored in DJB's argument against off-site secondaries.  Then
again, I didn't really understand what the point of his argument was save
for the fact that it seems like he's got a problem with people building a
business around secondary DNS hosting. It's true that there isn't much
point to an off-site secondary if you don't also have other off-site
backups. That being said it seems like the licensing problems with his
software have been so exaggerated at this point that they'll never change
simply because he wants to spite the naysayers. Perhaps someone at a
secondary DNS hosting company has annoyed him and that would further
explain his stance on their business model.

Secondary DNS/MX also prevents the generic deferred delivery messages that
often get generated by the boatload when a primary mx (and usually by
correlation DNS go down). So you don't have dozens, or hundreds, of users
resending email and making suport phone calls because they failed to
understand the cryptic "no action is required, your message will get
delivered eventually" bounces from their transports.

--
Derek Vadala, derek@cynicism.com, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek