[linux-elitists] DJB ruckus du jour

Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Wed Nov 13 15:39:52 PST 2002

> > http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/third-party.html
> >
> > _But_, on the page I'm talking about, Bernstein decides that's not
> > enough, and attempts to seriously allege that offsite backup DNS is
> > pointless anyway!  I'm not kidding; he really does say that.
> > Remarkable.
>
> 	Hard to be surprised -- this is the guy who's pushing for QMTP
> too. http://cr.yp.to/proto/qmtp.txt

I love you guys and all, but what's with all of the DJB bashing?

I realize that some folks have personal beef with him but
this is just getting silly.

1. Offsite nameservers are somewhat ineffective unless you have other
   offsite services as well. Not worth the liability if they're not
   needed, IMO.

   One of the most common name resolution problems I've debugged has
   to do with third party nameservers giving out bogus information.

2. SMTP is not so perfect that it is simply insane to try to do better.
   And it's not like you have to use QMTP if you don't want to.

-M