[linux-elitists] FC: SpamCop's Julian Haight replies to Politech, and other defenses (fwd)

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue Nov 5 05:57:32 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:16:53PM +0100, Eugen Leitl forwarded:

Heavens to Betsy, how terrible to adopt a decade-old industry practice
on a blacklist still in the test stage, without documenting this to the
people erroneously using it in production despite stern warnings to the
contrary.

If there is a kid in your back yard throwing eggs at cars and he hits
mine, I have a problem with him, but I'll probably tell you "hey,
there's a kid in your yard throwing eggs."

If I come by the next day and find that same kid in your yard still, I
now have a problem not just with him, but with you too.  If I stop
coming down your street because of this, and as a result your own kid's
lemonade stand suffers from decreased business, well, kick the egger out
or watch your kid lose business.

When the open relay went online, Raqspace was a victim.  When they left
it online after it was used for actual spamming (we're not talking about
an unsolicited relay check here, but actual abuse), Raqspace became a
spammer.

You're sharing a yard with the kid throwing eggs.  Move your lemonade
stand to a house that doesn't aid and abet spammers, or expect to lose
business.  You don't have a right to send mail to those ISPs that have
chosen to not receive mail from spamhouses, it's a privilege, granted at
the discretion of the receiving sysadmins.  People aren't abandoning the
ISPs that provide spam filtration; they're flocking to them in droves.

I don't use Spamcop for DNSBL either, but I support what they did in
this case.  Do business with scum, you get a little on you from time to
time.

--
Shawn McMahon            | Now is the time we should be celebrating
AIM work: spmcmahonfedex | the Constitution and the rule of law,