[linux-elitists] JEmacs

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Thu May 16 15:27:17 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 17:10, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 01:51:46PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > JEmacs:  The compactness of Emacs combined with the speed of Java!
> > http://www.free-soft.org/FSM/english/issue03/jemacs.html
>
> And some people wonder why we need multi-GHz machines...
>
> Silly people! To run the text editor!

To be fair, EMACS is not a text editor. It can edit text but it's also a
more general purpose IDE.

What I find interesting is that compared to most IDEs, EMACS *is* light
weight and is also far more flexible.

I use vi (well, vim actually) for text editing. I use EMACS for
development. If your development is just text editing, I suggest that
you are working with a handicap.

Or, in the words of Robin Williams, "This is not writing, this is just
typing!"