[linux-elitists] JEmacs

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu May 16 13:51:46 PDT 2002

JEmacs:  The compactness of Emacs combined with the speed of Java!
http://www.free-soft.org/FSM/english/issue03/jemacs.html

Abstract

JEmacs is a re-implementation of the Emacs programmable text editor. It
is written in Java, and currently uses the Swing GUI toolkit. Emacs is
based on the extension language Emacs Lisp (Elisp), which is a
dynamically-scoped member of the Lisp family. JEmacs supports Elisp, as
well as the use of Scheme, a more modern statically-scoped Lisp dialect.
Both languages get compiled to Java bytecodes, either in advance or
on-the-fly, using the Kawa compilation framework.

This article is an update of a paper presented at the 2000 Usenix
conference.

[...]

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."