[linux-elitists] Spamassassin Netiquette

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu May 9 13:36:36 PDT 2002

on Thu, May 09, 2002, Justin F. Knotzke (shampoo@cam.org) wrote:

> After reading a few threads concerning Spamassassin I decided to
> dump my Spambouncer procmail filters http://www.spambouncer.org for
> Spamassassin. Seems to be working rather well.
>
> I have but one question. Should one report spam (spamassassin -r <
> spam) only when a piece of spam makes it through undetected or should
> one report all spam, detected or not?

My understanding is that "spamassassin -r" feeds Vipul's Razor.  And
that this happens automatically at the autoreport threshold.  You may be
thinking of spamassassing-sightings@lists.sf.net, more below.

My policy is:

   - Autoreport spam above a certain threshold, in my case, 10, which
     has resulted in virtually no false positives, from several thousand
     mails.  These are filtered to "spamassassin-autoreport" via
     procmail.

   - Filter all messages 5 - <10 to a non-autoreported folder
     ("spamassassin").  I manually eyeball the messages, and run a shell
     command in the maildir folder after clearing out false positives (a
     few per week) and inappropriate messages:

         for file in *;
	 do
	     echo ">>> $file <<<"
	     cat $file | spamassassin -r
	     cat $file | ricochet
	 done

     ...which reports the message to Vipul's razor, and via ricochet
     (which can be problematic, but it's the best I've got).  I also
     bounce the message to uce@ftc.gov.

   - Other filtering rules apply, unrecognized addresses fall to a
     "Greylist" box.  If any of these are spam, I bounce them to
     spamassassin-sightings@lists.sf.net, which is a false-negatives
     reporting list.

I'm looking for a place to report false positives, which I don't see.
General feedback on this policy are also appreciated.

Peace.

   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.
     http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html