[linux-elitists] Should software apologize?

Peter Wiersig wiersig-ml@dns.glamus.de
Thu May 2 03:22:25 PDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 03:01:59AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, May 02, 2002, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> > <quote who="Marc MERLIN">
> >
> > > I have  to admit that this  message has always annoyed  me. There's
> > > probably something lost in the translation, or a culture difference or
> > > something...
> >
> > We have fun on our own. The Germans need reminders.
>
> What's left off of the SuSE message is the stick:
>
>    "Have a lot of fun!
>     ...or else..."
>
> Seriously, this is probably transliterated from "Mach viel spaß!", which
> makes more sense in German.  Literally:  make much fun!

Actually the line is the same in the german language setting. I've
never thought about and took it as "Habt Spass!" which translates to
"Have fun!"

Oh, I checked it, its now different:
$ cat /etc/issue.net
Welcome to SuSE Linux 7.2 (i386) - Kernel %r (%t).
$ cat /etc/motd
Have a lot of fun...

Peter