[linux-elitists] Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

john spurling synec@nakedlunch.org
Mon Mar 25 17:48:02 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:30:20PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Google wasn't really the _owner_ but did provide hosting in the form of
> cache data -- in in addition to its separate service of indexing.  I
> pointed out to the Google guy (last week) that his firm can, when
> necessary, meet any legally feasible[1] DMCA claim by removing the cache
> entry but _not_ the index one.  He countered by saying that mere
> indexing/linking could be culpable.  I replied by saying that this is
> only so according to the most extreme interpretation of DMCA to date,
> that of NYC's Judge Kaplan in the 2600 case.

i also pointed out to him that what google does is distinctly
different than what 2600 did. 2600 put an html link that basically
said, "click here to get dmca contraband." google provides an index
for the entire web! while the underlying technology may be the same,
surely they are very different things, and if google doesn't start
protecting the integrity of its index, it won't have any value at
all.

-john