Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 26 03:32:36 PST 2002

on Mon, Mar 25, 2002, Derek Vadala (derek@cynicism.com) wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > Uh? Why would I want to?
> > I'm quite happy to oblige people who are asking to be filtered
>
> The problem with this attitude (and Spam Assassin(1), on some levels), is
> that it incorrectly assume two things:
>
> 1. Everyone worth communicating with will make the effort to send email
> that won't trip an automated filter.

See prior comments to Rusty.  If someone _wants_ to trip my filters, by
all means.

> 2. Spammers won't go through the effort to circumvent filters.

Bollocks.

Spamassassin works on two principles:

  - Its scores are based on a "genetic algorithm" (I'm assuming
    probabalistic weighting) of submitted tests.  That is, a given test
    is proposed, and its weight is determined by its sensitivity and
    specificity against live data.

  - The system is updated frequently.  For us Debian types, updates can
    occur as frequently as we like.  I'd strongly suspect that SA's
    cycle time is about the same, if not faster than, the spammers'
    defeat cycle.  Neither side is standing still here.  We're looking
    at which side has a better evolutionary strategy.  SA's pretty
    damned sweet, and not just from an engineering standpoint.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.