Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter)

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Mon Mar 25 18:12:58 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:25:40PM -0500, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
> I do think, though, that given the presence of catchall accounts,
> back-up MX's that don't verify the recipients and the popular trick
> of forging the envelope sender to hotmail/yahoo/aol etc. your non-VRFY
> VRFY trick will prevent much.  Do you have stats on this?

Hotmail does the right thing
Yahoo accepts the RCPT but rejects the DATA, which is just stupid
AOL plain accepts the mail and bounces it later.

smtp callbacks  are not just to  cut down on  spam (it helps a  bit though),
they are primarily there to make sure I don't accept mail I can't bounce.

Marc